Machakos University started in 1957 as Machakos Technical Rural Training School. In 1958, the School was taken over by the Government and renamed Machakos Technical and Trade School and later renamed Machakos Technical Secondary School in 1967.
In 1987, the Institute became Machakos Technical Training, a purely post-school institution. The Government through the Legal Notice No. 130 of September 2011 elevated the Institute to a Constituent University College of Kenyatta University.
On 7th October, 2016, His Excellency, the President of the Republic of Kenya upgraded the University College to a full-fledged University namely Machakos University (MksU) during the Charter Award Ceremony held at State House Grounds, Nairobi.
Machakos University (MksU) is situated about 1km from Machakos town, along Machakos - Wote road. It is about 66km from Nairobi city and 28km from Konza city.
The core mandate of Machakos University is to Teach, Train, Conduct Research, Innovate, and
Collaborate, Generate New Knowledge and Provide Community Service.
A Preferred University of Excellence in Scholarship and Service Delivery.
To Provide Scholarly Education through Training, Research and Innovation for Industrial and Socio-Economic Transformation of our Communities.
The Philosophy of Machakos University is: “Education for Industrial and Economic Transformation.
PURPOSE OF THE CHARTER
This Service Charter is a public document of Machakos University’s total commitment for the realization of our mandate. The objectives of this charter is to:
- Enhance the level of awareness of the role of MksU on provision of quality and relevant University Education,
- Provide information on the relevant services offered,
- Outline set Standards and give guidance on addressing remedies where services fall short of standards,
- Give insight of the University’s core value and functions.
OUR PARTNERS/ STAKEHOLDERS
Our partners and stakeholders include:
- MksU staff
- MksU Alumni
- Regulatory Bodies
- Ministry of Education
- Primary and Secondary Schools
- Other Ministries, Departments and Government Agencies
- County Governments
- Local community
- Other institutions of higher learning both local and international
- Non-governmental Organizations and Community Based Organizations
- International Organizations
- Religious Organizations
- Trade Unions
Our main services are to:
- Train in examinations based programmes for full and part time course participants;
- Promote and participate in research, extension and consultancy services;
- Produce Research based solutions for society, community and industry;
- Promote principles of equal opportunities through acceptable admission procedures;
- Collaborate and network with stake holders, industries and allied institutions;
- Mobilize adequate resources;
- Fund activities in MksU Strategic Plan;
- Attract, develop, motivate and retain qualified and competent staff as per the established structure;
- Participate in Corporate Social Responsibility activities;
- Offer Sports and Recreational services;
- Offer Guidance and Counselling services to students;
- Provide Health Care;
- Provide Security services;
- Provide Accommodation and Conference facilities.
OUR SERVICE DELIVERY STANDARDS
Our clients and stakeholders should expect high standards of service delivery. We shall endeavour to provide services as follows:
- Training in degree programmes as per Commission for University Education (CUE) Standards and Guidelines;
- Training in Diploma and Certificate programmes as per Technical, Vocational and Educational Training (TVET) Standards and Guidelines;
- Undertake Research following the University Research Policy;
- Communicate feedback on research requests within fourteen (14) days;
- Attend to visitors’ enquiries in a respectful manner within five (5) minutes;
- Respond to written enquiries within fourteen (14) days;
- Handle customers’ complaints within two (2) weeks;
- Solve students’ indiscipline cases within six (6) weeks;
- Give notice of 14 days for scheduled meetings to customers, stakeholders and clients;
- Process payment of goods and services within 90 days upon submission of accurate invoices and other supportive documents in line with Public Procurement and Asset Disposal Act 2015;
- Prepare books of accounts for audit by 30th September yearly;
- Complete long term projects within the contract period;
- Submit Statutory Remissions by 9th of each subsequent month,
- Disciplinary cases for staff are handled as per policy.
RIGHTS OF CUSTOMERS
Our customers are entitled to:
- Free enquiry for services,
- Confidential handling of information,
- Access to relevant non-confidential information and feedback,
- Courteous and timely response to requests, complaints and enquiries,
- Prompt payment of services and goods delivered as per agreement on submission of all relevant documents,
- Professional training as per programme requirements,
- Safe, secure and healthy working and learning environment,
- Use of the University facilities and services free from harassment by other users,
- Receipts upon any payments,
- Prompt resolution of cases,
- Humble treatment, courtesy and respect,
- Health care.
OBLIGATIONS OF CUSTOMERS
Our customers have a duty to:
- Familiarise and conform to the rules, and regulations of the University,
- Respond to inquiries without delay to enable us to give them timely response,
- Engage in constructive criticism,
- Treat staff with courtesy and respect,
- Pay up for payable services rendered and goods delivered,
- Uphold professionalism and integrity in their interaction with us,
- Give their views on how they perceive our services,
- Ensure that any payment made is receipted,
- Be open and honest,
- Provide works, goods and services according to our specifications,
- Submit complaints as per the approved procedures,
- Avoid confrontation.